A person may seek a name change for any number of reasons such as divorce, safety reasons, gender change, or simply wanting a new name. Montana law provides a formal name change process under MCA Title 27, Chapter 31. This page features forms and links to assist self-represented individuals petition a Montana district court for a name change.

MCA Title 27, Chapter 31. Change of Name


Name Change: Information and Forms, from MontanaLawHelp.org

Transgender Resources page from MontanaLawHelp.org

Changing Your Name on Your Driver License or ID Card, from the Department of Justice, Motor Vehicle Division

How do I change or correct my name on my Social Security number card? from the U.S. Social Security Administration

Change or Correct a Passport, from the U.S. Department of State