Eligibility for a library card
To receive a law library card you must be:
- Current Montana State Bar member
- Government employee (state, federal, or local)
- Law firm staff
- Approved organization staff
- Academic faculty or staff
Those not eligible to receive a law library card may still checkout law library materials by placing an interlibrary loan request through their local public library.
Get Registered for a library card
You may register for a law library card:
- By filling out the application form and e-mailing the application to email@example.com
- In person by visiting the law library in the Joseph Mazurek Justice Building at 215 N. Sanders, Helena Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- By calling 444-3660 during law library open hours
- By e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Manage your library account
- In the upper right corner of the library catalog click "Log In." Then enter your card number and PIN. Your card number is the full 14-digit barcode number from the back of your library card.
- If this is the first time you have used your account online, your PIN will be CHANGEME. If you have changed your PIN and no longer remember it, use the “I forgot my PIN” button or contact the State Law Library at 444-3660.
- Once you have logged in, click on "My Account" on the navigation bar. From here, you can review your account, renew items, change your PIN, or submit address.
Place a hold on a book
- Search for an item in the catalog and select “Place a Hold” from the right side of the screen.
- Add dates as needed and click “Place Hold.”
Checkout an item
- Most circulating materials check out for two weeks. All other users have a 10 item limit. Popular legal films have a two item limit.
- Ebooks are available for checkout and download using a library card.
- Checkout privileges may be suspended if an account has charges or other circulation policies are abused.
Renew an item
- Materials may be renewed for an additional two weeks unless the item is on hold for another patron or is overdue. There is a two-time limit on renewals.
- EXCEPTION: CLE materials are not renewable.
- Renew online by logging into your online account using your library barcode number and account password. If you have not changed your default password, you should do that at this time. If you have lost your library card, please contact the law library.
- You can also renew by phone, emailing or in person during library hours.